Plongeurs au fond de l'esprit

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Well, a short post before plunging back into my studies.

Just recently I have been speculating about all the places I would have visited if my mothertongue was English. While I was still a Uni student, I fantasized about spending my holidays working as a receptionist in some pretty resort in Aspen, or collecting kiwis in the remote New Zeleand countryside. However, pursuing two degrees meant that (except for those spectacular annual holidays with my family), I usually spent the summer taking extra courses so as to not get tangled in overlapping courses during the rest of the year.
Once or twice I tried to apply for one of these appealing summer jobs abroad, but since I did not meet their minimum-available-time requirement, I had to decline their offers. Instead, I took Portuguese and Italian summer courses as a consolation treat. And it sort of worked out for almost 8 years.
When I was about to graduate, the idea of taking some months off to teach English or Spanish abroad became quite tempting again. So imagine how shocked I was when I found out how limited the market had become for English teachers who are not native speakers...and that´s how I quickly relocated my savings from a potential TEFL degree in English to a B2 diploma in French...

No comments: